Diversity and Inclusion
Resources on Campus
- Inclusive Earth: This club is designed to maximize the potential of students, scientists, engineers, and professionals in the Earth Science community. This includes semester-long professional development and workshops, inclusivity and implicit bias training, safety training, weekly study sessions, social hours, and outreach opportunities. Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org and get involved today!
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Organization of Women in Science
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) Undergraduate Fellows Program
- Refugees in Action
- Students for Action Focused Empowerment
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- "I will listen and believe you if someone is threatening you."
Forms and Guidelines
To file a complaint regarding discrimination or sexual harassment, contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (OEO/AA) at 801-581-8365.
If you have a suggestion for CMES involving inclusion and/or diversity in the college, please feel free to fill out this form - coming soon.
Resources for CMES faculty.
College plan for facilitating and advancing diversity.
- Alysha Armstrong, Geology and Geophysics
- Husile Bai, Atmospheric Sciences
- Mary Anne Berzins, Committee Co-Chair, Dean’s Office
- Lauren Birgenheier, Committee Co-Chair, Geology and Geophysics
- Brenda Bowen, Geology and Geophysics
- Mario Gonzalez, Materials Science and Engineering
- Siva Guruswamy, Materials Science and Engineering
- Gannet Hallar, Atmospheric Sciences
- Cari Johnson, Geology and Geophysics
- Chantelle Kiessner, Geology and Geophysics
- Kevin Mendoza, Geology and Geophysics
- Swomitra Mohanty, Materials Science and Engineering
- Holly Moreno, Atmospheric Sciences
- Terrie Parker, Dean’s Office
- Pratt Rogers, Mining Engineering
- Taylor Sparks, Materials Science and Engineering
- Jim Steenburgh, Atmospheric Sciences
- Darryl Butt, Dean, (Ad Hoc member)
If you would like to participate in the work of this committee or if you have a question or concern you'd like to bring up with the committee, please don't hesitate to contact a committee member listed above.
Committee for the Advancement of Inclusion and Diversity
The Committee for the Advancement of Inclusion and Diversity is charged with facilitating and advancing a culture of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility across the College of Mines and Earth Sciences (CMES). We provide actionable recommendations to all College programs and evaluate and assess progress towards an academic culture that is barrier free, promotes a sense of belonging, and deliberately advances the success of people traditionally marginalized in STEM.
- URGE (Unlearning Racism in Geoscience)
- STRIDE Workshop: September 23, 2020
- Learn more about STRIDE